Project Awesome
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

This is a forum for Project Awesome. We welcome you all, and hope to see your ideas and imagination.

HomeLatest imagesSearchRegisterLog in

This was my first question...

Go down 
2 posters
AuthorMessage
Admin
Admin

This was my first question...  Empty
PostSubject: This was my first question...    This was my first question...  EmptyMon Mar 18, 2013 5:26 pm

Can I make a MMORPG with Unity?

I found more answers than I knew I was looking for on that page. Randy may already have an idea about what kind of server to use and such, but honestly I had given it no thought lol.

User interface?

That one didn't load for me, but I guess we should be on the look out for one. I think we'll have to provide the pictures and such, but.. I dunno, but something. Oh yea, guess we need to scab as much as we can, so we can save time.

Toolkit. But not really what I see in my vision.

I dunno what you guys have envisioned, but I kind of see a 3rd person view, movable camera that follows, somewhat like WoW, guild wars, flyff, etc.
Back to top Go down
https://projectawesome.forumotion.com
microburstalert

PostSubject: Re: This was my first question...    This was my first question...  EmptyTue Mar 19, 2013 9:28 pm

Photon Server and Netdog are what people use to get MMOs running with Unity because the built-in networking is pretty limited.

Look up the "Unity, MMO's, Middleware, Servers/Clients" thread in their community. I can't post links with my account on here.

I voted Unity because of their Asset Store. You can pretty much buy anything you need for a game, whether it's 3d models or whole toolkits for specific types of games like the ones you linked to. That, and it's free to use and learn with. There's a $1200 pro version, but hopefully a full game can be made without shelling out that much cash for the pro license. I really don't know if something like the Asset Store is available for other game engines.

Hero Engine is what Bioware, EA, and Zenimax uses.
HeroEngine website wrote:
For $99 a year, developers and studios gain access to HeroEngine in the cloud. We handle and pay for all hosting and bandwidth during development and when your game goes live. Integrated global billing options through Visa PlaySpan so you can monetize your game from day one. Take advantage of our priority support, including customizable template words. Once live, keep 70% of any game revenues your game makes.

Their asset library uses 3D Studio Max or Maya models, and they use their own scripting language called Heroscript. It's an OOPL and is supposed to be pretty friendly in regards to syntax. I really don't know if there's a store available, or something like it, where you can just plug in code and have half of the game mechanics already built for you. Star Wars: The Old Republic was made with it.

There's probably several others. 3D is standard, both of the aforementioned engines are visual where you can drag-and-drop objects to make stuff, and are both pretty light on the code. Unity has a huge community and probably any question we had would be able to be found there or another site. I don't know much at all about HeroEngine except for who supports it, that it has a cheaper license, and has the server side already set up for you.

Edit: They do have an asset store, but it's not fleshed out like Unity.
Back to top Go down
Admin
Admin

PostSubject: Re: This was my first question...    This was my first question...  EmptyFri Mar 22, 2013 10:36 pm

I have the pro version of Unity...
Back to top Go down
microburstalert

PostSubject: Re: This was my first question...    This was my first question...  EmptyFri Mar 22, 2013 10:44 pm

Is it free on the site? There's license restrictions and all that if not. Don't want to get sued.
Back to top Go down
Admin
Admin

PostSubject: Re: This was my first question...    This was my first question...  EmptyFri Mar 22, 2013 10:47 pm

Nah, it's not free on the site lol. I got it, so I could play with it. I figure if we sit down and put a game together, we could always buy the license later if need be? Like right before launch?
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: This was my first question...    This was my first question...  Empty

Back to top Go down

This was my first question...
Page 1 of 1

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
Project Awesome :: Ideas-
Jump to: