This is a forum for Project Awesome. We welcome you all, and hope to see your ideas and imagination.

HomeCalendarFAQSearchMemberlistUsergroupsRegisterLog in

Share | 

Combat features

Go down 
AuthorMessage
microburstalert

PostSubject: Combat features   Sun Mar 24, 2013 8:12 am

Here's some features I enjoy from other MMOs that I think would work great in this game.

Dodging/strafing/teleporting. I've been playing Neverwinter and the shift + direction or double-tap in a direction causes your character to roll/jump/dodge/teleport that way. I think that would be an awesome feature for this game.

Mouse-driven fast paced combat. Click to attack, map right-key to whatever. Maybe have a shortlist of abilities mapped to your scroll wheel that you can cycle through? Neverwinter uses 1 and 2 for major powers, and QW and R for timed abilities. WASD is movement, obviously. I'm really liking the combat system so far, and I don't see any problem copying/modifying it's or another game's mechanics for our game since it's very easy to do a lot of different things with this setup.

Mounted combat? I wasn't sure if you guys wanted to include flying mounts, and if so, if there'd be flying combat. That'd give apothecaries an advantage, since they wouldn't have to have a flying mount and could possibly get flight earlier. If not, they'd just pretty much be stuck in jump-mode half the time, maybe with a toggle. Characters would have to jump to hit them with melee attacks? That's if they fly in the first place, anyway.

Really, though, I think the faster the combat the better. It'll make the PVP much more enjoyable. I hate "stand there and hold a button" combat, slow ability cooldowns, etc. It needs to be almost like FPS fast, but with cooldowns on abilities. Slow enough for other characters to be able to chase each other and fight, not giving ranged attackers the advantage of not having to chase, but fast enough where someone dodging actually lets them be able to dodge.

Other than that, I was going to say I think that each faction's classes should be completely different in terms of how they're played. Like the assassin/hunter you guys were talking about, I think the assassin would be great sneaking around, shooting darts, etc. while the hunter's gameplay is that of the more typical archer, with volleys of arrows and whatnot. It's two completely different time periods and settings so each character archetype should be completely unique for its faction.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
OneDrone

PostSubject: Re: Combat features   Sun Mar 24, 2013 5:46 pm

I definately love the ability to dodge and roll. GW2 has that (Some of it is even built into certain classes like Thief & Ranger's skills <3) and lemme tell you, I think it really gets you into the "combat" aspect of the game.

I've never played a Mouse driven combat system, I'm really familar with the number row/num pad systems. Maybe give an option to use either/or since the typical MMO uses the ASDW/1-0 system so players can have a number ways to play to their taste?

Mounted combat... is something I think a lot of stuff over looks. I personally think it'd be awesome. Maybe have a unique skill set while you're mounted?
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Admin
Admin

PostSubject: Re: Combat features   Sun Mar 24, 2013 9:31 pm

Im just afraid that if we change the classes between factions, that we are going to end up one sided. Who isnt going to want to be a flying ranged character who cant be hit?? PvP is insanely hard to balance, anyway. But, if we can figure out a way to make it work, then let's do it.
Back to top Go down
View user profile http://projectawesome.forumotion.com
microburstalert

PostSubject: Re: Combat features   Mon Mar 25, 2013 5:19 am

I meant mouse-driven like regular action rpgs. Click to attack, right click to use power, etc. Neverwinter played like a single player game, and it was really fun. It wasn't just "click to select your enemy and press 1-0".

Oh, for the flying thing, I meant make the apothecary weak as all hell, but flight giving them their combat advantage. They can only take a few hits, but you have to catch them first or shoot them out of the sky. The other team's healer having some kind of divine aura to protect them from magic, but otherwise just as squishy. Maybe they're only half-way on this plane, and half on some divine one, so attacks only hit them half the time? Or angel/demon wings if you want them to balance that way?

I was also thinking mounts/faster travel should be more of an extension of your class, and not just an item you buy. For example, the steampunk brawler could get some sort of giant mech suit (like the steampunk iron man picture) while knights (or whatever) ride the typical horse, technomancers get some sort of crazy contraption they ride around on and mages summon a wyvern or something. It'd make combat with it easier to handle since it'd pretty much be an upgradable skill and not a separate creature to account for. They could just change the character model and add stats like "+50% movement speed, plus 200 HP, plus 20 def, add 'soandso power' "...

With the storyline you guys are proposing, I really don't think it'd go over well if each faction's classes were duplicates of each other. I really think they'd have to be different but represent the same basic class. I'm not picturing fantasy brawlers with giant fists, but I can definitely see a steampunk brawler like that. I pictured a knight or a warrior with a giant sword. Both classes fit the same purpose in their factions, but play completely different. Both tank/aoe dps or something. Steampunk brawlers punching the ground and sending out shockwaves, knights with huge swords spinning in circles, etc. etc.

My Neverwinter Beta Weekend 3 Tumblr!

Also, Elder Scrolls Online Preview! It's going to be multiplayer Skyrim ffs, vampires and all.

Honestly, I think this is a bad year for up-and-coming MMO devs... maybe we ought to start with a single-player/lan-multiplayer game before branching off into MMO territory?
Back to top Go down
View user profile
OneDrone

PostSubject: Re: Combat features   Mon Mar 25, 2013 11:26 pm

Hm. That's a possibility... Maybe make a pre-quel to the thing we're working on, yanno, get our feet wet and establish some sort of a fan base before going MMO?
Back to top Go down
View user profile
microburstalert

PostSubject: Re: Combat features   Tue Mar 26, 2013 1:20 am

I was also going to mention zones in this game, as I think it'd work out pretty well. Certain areas of the map are completely open (like where the people come through to the other time period) and there's all kinds of havoc happening with tons of quests. Once the quests are done, and you close the portal, that area turns into a normal place. It'll make you feel like you accomplished something in game, and it'd actually only take two maps. One for the people who haven't completed the area yet, and one for the people who have.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
microburstalert

PostSubject: Re: Combat features   Tue Mar 26, 2013 1:23 am

I wasn't sure if you guys wanted to go straight into an MMO or not. The Unity asset store would give us all the stuff we need, but we'd have no experience to fall back on unless we hire someone who knows what they're doing. Razz

I can program, and we've all played tons of games before, but really getting into creating an MMO, 3d modelling, etc. is something that I don't think we have much experience with. Maybe I'm wrong, and you guys have some awesome hobbies, but I really don't. cyclops

We could do something like Wasteland 2 is doing. They have a "call to action" on their webpage and are asking people to send in models for the game that they'll pay for, as long as the price matches what's in the Unity store. The people who make the stuff will be recognized in the game credits, as well as get paid. I think that'd be a pretty cool option for us if we don't want to deal with certain aspects of the game creation at all. Buy "creation kits" from the Asset Store for most of the game features, and crowdsource the graphics and models.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
OneDrone

PostSubject: Re: Combat features   Tue Mar 26, 2013 9:59 pm

Aye. I'm not very good with the fancy pants end of gaming (Programing, modeling, etc) but I can dish out concept-ish art ideas (Provided my scanner is up and running) and then storylines, lore creation... yanno, that sort of jazz. I'll ask around though, I might know some people who can do the 3D stuff. >.>
Back to top Go down
View user profile
microburstalert

PostSubject: Re: Combat features   Wed Mar 27, 2013 12:18 pm

I wasn't sure if you guys wanted to go straight into an mmo, but making a prequel would be great. Like you said, it'd definitely establish a fanbase for the mmo. If you can get some concept art then we could outsource the 3d modelling pretty easily. The sites I use to freelance on are filled with Asians with lots of spare time. Razz
Back to top Go down
View user profile
OneDrone

PostSubject: Re: Combat features   Wed Mar 27, 2013 4:43 pm

I guess it would come down to what we wanted to have as far as races. Did we decide on multiple races for the MMO? If so which would we include in the single player? Like, select a race (Like on Elderscrolls) or go with more of a Final Fantasy-ish style where you're this race, pick a gender and go?
Back to top Go down
View user profile
microburstalert

PostSubject: Re: Combat features   Wed Mar 27, 2013 6:19 pm

If it's one world and different time periods, how do the other races tie in? It could always be a world of fox people.

If we use several races, are we going to separate each time period into different countries or continents in order to create origins for each race? Or would it just be all of them mishmashed together like modern times?
Back to top Go down
View user profile
OneDrone

PostSubject: Re: Combat features   Thu Mar 28, 2013 11:39 am

Hmmmmm... I personally wouldn't mind the challenge of creating different cultures and origins, but that's just me. XD

However, the idea of a world of fox people is also intriguing.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Admin
Admin

PostSubject: Re: Combat features   Sun Mar 31, 2013 6:30 pm

I apologize, because I didn't realize we weren't all on the same page. This game is supposed to be the fanbase attractor/prequel. I envision a large MMO like WoW/GW scale at some point, but there is absolutely no way we could start there. We don't have the time, experience, nor money. It takes half a million dollars or more just to market something of that scale. That's why I was talking about a p2w style game, they are normally smaller MORPG's, less than 1000 people per server and such. They have potential to make insane amounts of money, but it's normally temp money. The game may last a year or 2, but usually dies off. I figured we could create a "universe" and a fanbase, make some cash, then move on to something bigger with that fanbase and universe. Then we could afford to bring on people who know what they are doing lol.

A single player game could be fun, but would have to be a real spectacular game to take us from single player to MMO scale. But, a simple p2w type game, if we do it right could put us on the beach drinking pina coladas within a couple weeks after release. PvP is where it is at in p2w style games. People basically pay to be on leaderboards. It's a different world of RPG. They aren't role playing as elfs and trolls, they are role playing as badass mofo's, and are willing to pay to be better than the next guy. I don't want to be greedy, or even sound that way, because you can spot a greedy company pretty easy, but the intentions are to make a profit, it's just finding a balancing point, not too much p2w, but enough to urge people to pay for something.

I love the ideas that we have come up with, we have pretty much created a world. Or at least an idea of one, now it's just scaling it to our capabilities and goals.

These were just my original intentions, if you guys would like to change directions, let's do it. If nothing else, it's experience.
Back to top Go down
View user profile http://projectawesome.forumotion.com
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Combat features   

Back to top Go down

Combat features
Page 1 of 1